1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsps butter or margarine
2 tbsps white cooking fat
2-4 tbsps cold water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup light cream
1/2 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
3 green onions, chopped
2 green chilies, seeded and chopped
8 oz cooked and peeled shrimp
Cooked, unpeeled shrimp and parsley sprigs for garnish
1. Sift the flour with a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl.
2. Rub in the butter and fat until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Mix in the liquid gradually, adding enough to bring the pastry together into a ball.
4. Wrap the pastry well and chill for 20-30 minutes.
5. Roll ou the pastry on a well-floured surface with a floured rolling pin.
6. Wrap the circle pastry around the rolling pin to lift it into a 10 inch flan dish. Unroll the pastry over the dish.
7. Carefully press the pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of the dish, taking care not to stretch it.
8. Roll the rolling pin over the top of the dish to remove excess pastry, or cut off with a sharp knife.
9. Mix the eggs, milk, cream and garlic together. Sprinkle the cheese, onion, chilies and shrimp onto the base of the pastry and pour over the egg mixture.
10. Bake in a preheated 400F over for 30-40 minutes until firm and golden brown.